We wait with anticipation as to what happens to this redundant building at 43-45 West Street, at its corner with Holly Street. It was built in 1914, the year the First World War started, as shown by a carving in the Ashlar stone, and planning permission has been granted to turn it into a wine bar.
The property has most recently been used as a men’s’ hairdressers and salon and is now vacant.
The good news is that the exterior of the building will be sympathetically restored with the removal of ugly brick infills and floor-to-ceiling glazing at first-floor level.
The interior is remarkably narrow, with the back of the building mostly taken by the derelict former Old Red Lion public house.