Categories
Buildings

Two hundred years of history about to be replaced with apartments

Broad Street proposal. Image: Falconer Chester Hall

Once upon a time, in 1822, a public house opened on Broad Street, Park, called The Harrow, containing an adjacent cottage and workshops. It was held on lease under the Duke of Norfolk for ninety years. No doubt it was named after the heavy agricultural tool dragged over ploughed land to break up clods.

By the 1850s, it had been enlarged and stabling added, but the character of the pub had changed entirely. Now called ‘The Old Harrow,’ it briefly lost its licence in 1852 because of the misconduct of its tenant, James Potts.

The charm of the area was lost, with dense back-to-back housing spreading across the Park district, and providing a raft of thirsty drinkers for the pub, but still attractive enough to show the celebrated prize pig ‘Champion’ in 1858.

There were ups and downs at The Old Harrow: successes, failures, bankruptcies, deaths, burglaries, and numerous inquests held on persons who had died in the vicinity.

The slum housing was subsequently replaced with the sprawling Hyde Park and Park Hill flats, but to keep the allure of days past, the pub became known as Ye Old Harrow.

But customers eventually dried up, and the pub closed in 2008, falling into disrepair, and was victim of an arson attack in 2019.

Ye Old Harrow (just about) remained standing, gaining a reputation as Sheffield’s most haunted pub, and only entered by those with their wits about them – urban explorers who captured the blackened interiors on film.

Ye Old Harrow. This year marks two hundred years since it was built

A year ago, the pub and accompanying land was put up for auction with a guide price of £225,000, and its prime location near to Park Hill, Park Square, and the city centre, meant it was quickly snapped up.

Now, D&S Properties SPV has submitted a full planning application for the construction of a new building of up to seven storeys. It will mean the demolition of Ye Old Harrow and its replacement would comprise 55 one-bed and two two-bed private rented sector (PRS) apartments, together with an office and residential gym on the ground floor.

The good news is that Granelli’s ice cream and sweet shop, at the bottom of Broad Street, remains unaffected.

Broad Street proposal. Image: Falconer Chester Hall

©2022 David Poole. All Rights Reserved.

Categories
Buildings Streets

Stepney Street

Photograph by Cadenza VM

Stepney Street is a small road leading off Broad Street in the Park area of Sheffield.

Originally land owned by the Duke of Norfolk, it succumbed to cobbled-street slum housing, was shortened in length after redevelopment in the 1930s, and modern-day access restricted to a private car park and a garage business. Significantly, the railway line runs directly beneath it.

Housing on the street, along with those at Old Street, Bard Street, School Lane, Duke Street, Crown Alley, Crown Alley Lane, Bernard Street, Weigh Lane and Broad Street, were compulsorily purchased in 1934, demolished and redeveloped.

Photograph of Stepney Street, looking towards Broad Street, by Picture Sheffield

The surviving part of Stepney Street, with its cobbles, might become a residential area again, with a proposed new development of 100 apartments, a planning application submitted to Sheffield City Council by Six Developments, supported by architects’ practice Cadenza.

The gated building would be eight-storeys high featuring 100 private rental sector (PRS) apartments. A total of 95 one-bed flats would be provided, together with four studios and a single two-bedroom unit.

Watkin Jones previously secured planning permission for a development of 62-bed apartment building in December 2017, but this scheme was not brought forward. The developer had originally acquired the site to provide car parking for its Pinnacles Development.

Photograph by Google