A few weeks back we looked at 95-101 Norfolk Street, constructed by Flockton & Abbot for Hay and Son, wine merchants, in 1876. The business lasted until 1970 and was restored to become the Ruskin Gallery in 1985. The museum closed in 2002 and the collection is now housed at the Millennium Gallery.
In recent times, it has been home to several businesses, the ground floor occupied by Handlesbanken, a Swedish commercial bank.
Now, the Ruskin Building is undergoing further renovation as The Bank, operated by Sheffield Theatres Trust.
The Bank is part of Sheffield Theatres’ The Making Room project, a network of local artists in collaboration with Theatre Deli, The Bare Project and Third Angel. The new venue will be used as a theatrical and reading space, a rehearsal area and basement storage. This is where the next generation of creative talent will be nurtured.
The project has been made possible after a financial gift from long-standing Sheffield Theatres supporters, Jo and Chris Hookway.
The former Handlesbanken bank was separate to the former Ruskin Gallery, divided by a partition wall. This will be reconfigured and allow the extension of The Crucible Corner, an adjacent bar and restaurant, providing room for 20 extra covers. The remaining part will be used for The Making Room venture.
The opening of The Bank, scheduled for late November, does not affect the historic fabric or architectural features of the Grade II-listed building.