Charles John Innocent (1839-1901), architect, was born in Sheffield, the son of John Innocent, a publisher. He was educated at Sheffield Commercial Academy and later articled to the architects Weightman, Hadfield and Goldie.
Innocent went into partnership with Thomas Brown in 1862 and the Education Act of 1870, and the immediate demand for school buildings, proved to be a triumph for them.
He was appointed architect for the Sheffield Schools Board in 1871 after which school after school went up using his designs, including amongst many, Attercliffe, Springfield, Carbrook, Abbeydale, Gleadless Road, Hunters Bar, Sharrow Lane and Duchess Road.
Innocent also did a considerable amount of work for the Sheffield Board of Guardians, providing the plans for the erection of the headquarters of the Children’s Homes and the Cottage Homes for aged people.
Charles Innocent designed Glossop Road Baptist Church, now the Sheffield University Drama Studio (1871), and St. John’s Chapel, Crookesmoor, but his greatest achievement was probably the Montgomery Hall (1884-1886) on Surrey Street for the Sheffield Sunday School Union.
He died in November 1901 at his home on Wellesley Road, Broomhill.