While researching the history of No. 35, George Street, Sheffield, this remarkable old print came to light.
The site of what is now the NSPCC, Sheffield Service Centre, opposite the Curzon Cinema, used to be the office of the Sheffield Fire Insurance Company.
The Sheffield Fire Brigade used to practice in the space in front of what became Alliance Chambers, following the acquisition of the company in 1864 by the Alliance Insurance Company (now Royal Sun Alliance).
The small horse-drawn fire engine, small enough to get up alleyways, was housed on the ground floor.
The building was demolished in 1912 and replaced with new offices for the Alliance Insurance Company in 1913-1914.
However, two stone urns and the Sheffield coat-of-arms, seen here in this sketch, were transferred to the replacement building and can still be seen today. (The coat-of-arms built into the stone pediment).